Makes 4 or 5 strudels, each of which serves a couple people.
- 20 sheets phylo pastry
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- one purple onion, sliced and sauteed
- one jar roasted red pepper, sliced
- 2 cup mixture of Edam and Havarti shredded cheese
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1 pound sliced turkey breast (I used smoked)
- salt and pepper
- Lay out one sheet on a dry surface and brush with butter. Layer five sheets of phylo with butter.
- Make a strip of sauteed onions about 3 inches wide, leaving about an inch and a half free at each end.
- Cover with a layer each of red pepper, cheese, bread crumbs, and turkey.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold the ends over the filling strip and brush with butter.
- Fold one side over the filling and end strips and brush with butter.
- Roll the whole strudel away from you over the last strip of pastry.
(Sometimes the phylo will tear when you move it. I brush with a bit of butter and cover it with a spare sheet of phylo)