Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Mrs. Blair's Butter Tarts



A few weeks ago I was digging through my mum's recipe book and I found some recipes in the back from Mrs. Blair, our neighbor on West 39th Ave. The Blairs were a Scottish couple who are most remembered by the family for comments like "That dog's nothing but a bloody s**t machine", the children with glee and the mother with horror.

Anyway, one of the recipes I found was for butter tarts. Been buying them for years, never made my own so yesterday I decided to give it a try. Very different flavor from the store bought that I have had, but a huge hit at school amongst the staff.

1 cup white sugar
1 cup seedless raisins
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup butter
4 Tbsp cream

Beat eggs. Combine all ingredients, boil for three minutes. Fill pre-baked shells and bake at 15 minutes at 375ยบ.

A couple observations.

I tried both little pre-made phyllo shells and shells made from pie crust, rolled thin, and pre-baked in a hemispherical ball cake pan (not sure who made it or what it was originally for, but it is useful for stuff like this. Another good option (Christmas list) would be a mini tart plaque. I definitely like the pie crust shells better.

I might try a different type of sugar with the next batch. Maybe turbinado for a slightly heavier flavor. I think brown sugar would be too much but it needs a little something (imo, as I said, the staff raved about them).

Update: I baked the shells slightly longer on the second batch, then baked the filled shells for 12 minutes, at which point I noticed that they were getting really dark brown. They are dry, burnt, and horrible. The filling is chewy and has less flavor. Max bake times on the shells five to six minutes, ten minutes on the filled tarts.


No comments:

Post a Comment