Sunday, April 19, 2020

Smoked pork butt

Can't believe I've never posted this or some of my other smoker recipes so I'll have to try to catch up.

My favorite (and only since I cleared out some recipe books) is Smoke & Spice by the Jamisons.  This is from that book and if you are going to buy a smoker you should pick this one up.


My go to recipe from this book is a pork butt:

Rub:
1/2 c ground black pepper
1/4 c paprika
1/4 c raw (Turbinado) sugar
2 T salt
2 t dry mustard
1 t cayenne

6 to 8 pound butt

Rub all over and refrigerate overnight.




I try to keep my smoker between 210°F and 250°F.

It will take about 10 to 12 hours so get up early (I have read 1 1/2 hours per pound but can't confirm.

I use an oven thermometer with a wired probe to track to the meat temperature, that way I don't have to keep opening the lid to check the temperature.


I also use a mop, or basting solution.

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup water
3 T black pepper
2 T salt
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T paprika
1 T cayenne

Shake it up and mop the meat every hour or so.

I then added a bit of sugar to the leftover mop and used it as a vinegar BBQ sauce.  Mm, mm, mm.

Here's the Coleslaw recipe that I serve with this, the only coleslaw I've ever actually liked.

As usual, I am not good at remembering to take pictures, but I did manage to get one of the rubbed butt and the smoker setup so there you go.


No comments:

Post a Comment