Sunday, December 11, 2011

Lemon Curd Tarts

Super easy, once you've made the lemon curd.


Fill small, pre-baked tartlette shells with lemon curd and refrigerate or fill a large pre-baked tart shell with lemon curd and refrigerate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

So a couple things you need to know.

First of all, you have two choices when it comes to making shells. Make a pie crust, line a tart pan with small rounds of crust or buy pre-made tart shells. There are advantages and drawbacks to both.

1) I have experimented with a variety of pans including a regular muffin tin, two different sized tiny tart pans (which I haven't been able to find at any store or website), and I just bought a Nordic Ware tartlette pan. The muffin tin and Nordic Ware tarts make the tarts a little larger than I would like, the mini tart pans result in tarts that do not have flat bottoms since the bottoms puff up when you bake them. I haven't made tarts in the Nordic Ware yet but will be making a batch soon and will post an update.

2) Buy pre-made tartlette shells. The problem in the Pacific Northwest is that no one carries them. The only ones I've been able to find are Phyllo (avoid for this application). Popping across the border to Canada I picked up Tenderflake shells in two sizes. The smaller ones are pictured above and worked quite nicely but they are a bit heavier than I would like.

UPDATE: I tried out the Nordic Ware pan last night and it is just right. I filled each well with pastry, about a three inch circle, poked some holes with a fork to keep it from swelling up, then lined each one with a mini-muffin liner and a few pie weights. Baked for five minutes, took out the weights and liner, and baked another five. They came out great.



No comments:

Post a Comment