Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dire Illness Chicken Soup

Standing at the stove in a stuffy haze, really want some chicken soup. No idea what should go in as I always just open a can of Campbell's (which I don't have on the shelf). So here goes.

3 cups chicken stock from the store
1 small carrot, grated
2 tbsp yellow onion, grated
1/2 cup or so of soup noodles (These are thin and short, about an inch and a half long and work perfectly. Can't remember what they are called but I generally find them in the Mexican section of my grocery store. I'll update this when I buy another pack)
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp or so celery seed
1/2 tsp or so basil

Bring to a boil and cook for a while.
Eat hot.

Wow. It was incredible. Of course I was sick and dying for chicken noodle soup so my judgement may have been tainted, but I'm going to run with it.

3 comments:

  1. Next time you're at the supermarket try buying a couple-three cans of chicken, the cans like the ones tuna comes in. Add most of a can of that, well drained (I used to be able to put a whole can in, then I got dogs) into that soup. The added protein will help your body heal, plus it just tastes good. Those little cans of chiken are handy in the larder. One can makes around three nice fat chicken salad sammiches for a quick lunch. Your dire illness chicken soup, minus the noodles, plus a can of chicken plus a little can of biscuits, each row biscuit chopped into quarters and rounded, makes a passable chicken and dumplings.

    Speaking of little tuna size cans, ever been REAL hungry and too tired to cook? Take a well drained can o' tuna, a can of Chunky Clam Chowder and a big pat of butter. Stir the tuna into the chowder, add the butter and microwave 'til hot. Eat with crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not for me. I read the ingredients in the soup cans & nearly all have soy. No soy for cancer survivors (except fermented kind).

    So mine is Swanson's concentrated Flavor packets, one to a cup of liquid, sweat the onions and carrots in a little real butter...a small piece of leek, washed well & then chopped (they're sandy) is heaven. Adding the protein is a GOOD idea...cook your own & freeze in chunks or use those cans (i find the meat overdone. Don't mind that for salmon, but for chicken, the texture isn't so good.

    [When you're better, wash well and w/o drying them, put thru cuinsart two bunches fresh parsley, stems and all. It will blend down to very little biomass. Put in a container in freezer & break off pieces for homemade soups. Great for colds. Vitamin K in its various forms.]

    For real healing power, add some fresh garlic, scraped lemon rind, and ginger. They all taste good w/ chicken soup, esp if you grind them together first & add after soup is off the boil.

    A pinch of turmeric adds deep color to broth & aids digestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why I don't suggest soup cans. I use broth and add my own ingredients.

    Nice ideas on the rest, though. I like the idea of adding leek and I'll have to try the garlic, lemon, and ginger. That sounds like a good combination.

    ReplyDelete