Monday, December 10, 2012

Turkey Soup 2012

So this year's version has a few changes that fall under the "whatever you have lying around" category, but it was good enough to warrant its own post.


1 turkey carcass
1 onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 quart water.

Boil for 2 1/2 hours. Remove turkey bones. Process broth with blender til chunky.

Add:
5 or 6 carrots, chopped

whatever you have lying around, in this case:
2 sweet potatoes, sliced

Cook until vegetables are done. Add 1 tsp mace, 1 can condensed milk, salt and pepper to taste.
chicken broth and water to cover.

I really don't like sweet potato, but I've been hearing that they have lots of beta-carotene, as well as being lower in GI effect so thought I'd throw them in and see what happened.  I was going to put in some barley as well but forgot, so I have a packet of barley sitting on the counter.

Excellent.  Really tasty soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment