Monday, March 16, 2020

Baked shrimp with feta, tomatoes, and spinach

3 large shallots, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T olive oil

Heat oil over medium heat then cook shallots and garlic until they are soft.  Mixture should resemble a coarse paste.

2 pounds sweet Campari tomatoes, cut into small wedges.  Original recipe said blanche and peel tomatoes, I don't bother.

Add tomatoes to onion mixture and cook over low heat til you have a chunky sauce.

Add salt, pepper, and about a 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes.

Stir in two large handfuls of spinach and cook for a couple minutes to  wilt the spinach into the sauce.

Pour into large, shallow casserole dish.  I used a 13 x 9.

1 1/2 pounds large shrimp with veins and tails removed.  Cooked or uncooked, I'll address this later.

Layer over sauce.  Season with salt and pepper.

1/2 to 3/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled

Layer over shrimp.

If you use raw shrimp bake in 400°F oven until cheese starts to brown and sauce is bubbly.  Original recipe says 12 minutes but that wasn't enough for mine.

If you use cooked shrimp, broil on high until cheese starts to brown and sauce is bubbly.  I baked mine and the cooked shrimp was a bit tough.  I bought the cooked, however, because I didn't want to deal with the de-veining part.   Next time I will broil instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment