Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Carrot Casserole


12 carrots, sliced and cooked, about 10 minutes
1 onion, chopped
1/4 c butter
1/4 c flour

1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp celery salt
2 c milk

1/2 lb cheese, grated
Bread crumbs.


Saute onion in butter. Add flour and stir about 1 minute.
Add seasonings.
Slowly add milk. Bring slowly to boil stirring frequently. Sauce will thicken as it cooks.
Once it boils, add cheese in small handfuls to melt. Remove from heat.
Layer carrots with sauce.
Top with breadcrumbs. Bake 30 minutes uncovered at 350ยบ.

So this is a pretty basic recipe that seems to be all over the internet but...
this was one of my favorites growing up, mum made it quite frequently, and I still do when I need something simple to go with a meal.

3 comments:

  1. If we were to follow the lineage, they would be Auntie Marilyn's Bran Muffins, known to us older kids as "Mrs. Bagshaw". When you make a batch to get a photo bring me a muffin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot! I messed up your blog by posting a bran muffin comment under the carrot casserole. So, here's one for the carrots. THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend, Roberta, wrote on facebook that she tried the carrot casserole for Christmas dinner after seeing it here and it was a big hit! Not that I'm surprised.

    ReplyDelete