Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mum's Deep Dish Pizza

Crust:

1 1/4 c warm water (140º or so)
1 package dry yeast
2 T shortening
2 t salt
2 T sugar
1 1/2 c flour

Mix ingredients. Beat for two minutes. I use the Kitchen Aid mixer on high.

1 1/2 c more flour.

Add the second 1 1/2 c flour. Mix, cover, and let rise for one hour.

Sauce:

1 pound hamburger, browned
4 T onion, chopped
4 large cloves garlic

salt
pepper
2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Basil
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 lg (or 4 small) cans tomato paste
1 lb mozzarella
toppings

Brown hamburger. I generally add a pound of bulk mild Italian sausage at this point also but it isn't necessary. Add the onion and garlic and stir a few times. Add spices, tomato paste, and enough water to make it mushy. I find one large can of water (or two small) is just about right.

Split dough into two. Roll out and line two deep dish pie plates. I like it to hang over the edges until I fill the pies so it doesn't pull back into the dish.

Fill the crusts with the filling. Add your favorite toppings. I default to sliced fresh mushrooms and pepperoni. Cover with grated mozzarella cheese.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 350º.

This pizza is incredible hot and the best cold leftover pizza I have ever had.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! Our prizes for being the top Bible memory verse kids in the Sunday School. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also MamaJRA I KNOW you have a Kitchenaid stand mixer lonely in the hallway cupboard and don't you think it needs to come live with the brat so she can make this deep dish pizza in the mixing style recommended by HereSoLong?

    ReplyDelete