Monday, September 5, 2011

Apple Stuffed Pork Chops with Maple Glaze

I threw this together the other day because I had some leftover maple glaze from a ham I had made and was trying figure out what to do with a couple pork chops. Apple trees are starting to produce a few ripe apples so this is what I came up with. No picture because I was hungry and forgot to grab the camera. (Edit: Picture added.)




Thick cut pork chops
One apple (preferably one that is firm and a little tart. I have used Gravensteins from my one of my trees and Granny Smith from the store with good results.)

Cut a deep pocket into each pork chop
Slice the apple and stuff the pork chops full

Mix 1/2 cup maple syrup with 1/4 tsp ginger and 1/8 tsp each of nutmeg and allspice.

Place stuffed chops in greased baking dish and drizzle with maple syrup mixture.

Bake 375ยบ for 45 minutes uncovered (you may need a little less time if your chops are not very thick).

I serve with homemade applesauce and sauteed sliced zucchini and yellow squash.

Update: The second time I actually made sure the chop was covered with syrup. The
maple flavor was much more pronounced and the dish was even better.

5 comments:

  1. "No picture because I was hungry and forgot to grab the camera." Heh. Not really a great excuse. If you were hungry, you couuld have just had a peanut butter and Granny Smith Apple sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL about your last comment. Calvin does NOT throw together meals. He either creates a masterpiece or doesn't eat. I think I was mixed up in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was phoning you to get your recipe when it occurred to me that you might refer me to your blog anyway, so here I am. Pork chops for supper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice comment about the photo. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete