Sunday, May 3, 2020

Char Sui (Chinese BBQ Pork)

This recipe was conglomerated from a variety of web sites.  I started with two Chinese cookbooks that I have in my kitchen, thought they looked uninteresting, which led me to three other recipes online, which led me to making my own hoisin sauce.

Hope you enjoy.

3 lb pork shoulder, deboned and sliced into 8 in x 3 in x 1 1/2 in strips


Marinade

1/2 c white sugar (I use turbinado)
4 tsp salt
1 tsp five spice powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
2 T rice wine
2 T soy sauce
2 T hoisin sauce
4 tsp molasses
1/4 tsp red food coloring
6 cloves minced garlic

As usual, if you have been reading my recipes, I didn't measure much of any of this, just chucked it into the shaker bottle.

Combine in a shaker bottle.  Full disclosure, the recipe pictured I actually made a batch of hoisin sauce and then marinaded the pork in that, because I forgot that I was making the hoisin to go in the marinade.  I then mixed all the other ingredients and re-marinaded the pork.  It came out good anyway but I don't have any hoisin sauce for next time I need it.

Basting sauce:

2 - 4 T marinade
2 T maltose (honey if you can't find maltose but they have it at Asian groceries)
1 T hot water
Mix and shake well to dissolve sugar

Marinate overnight in the fridge.

Preheat oven to 475 - 550 °F and put rack in top third of oven. (I did 525°F)

Line a sheet pan with foil and place a metal rack on top.  Place the pork on the rack, leaving as much space as possible in between pieces, and pour 1 1/2 cups of water into pan below pork.  This should cut down on smoke.

Note: I recommend a large heavy sheet pan.  I used two normal pans and they were thin enough that the heat caused them to warp during baking.  This caused the water to flow to one end and defeated the purpose.  I had a lot of smoke.

Roast pork for 25 minutes and then flip over.  Add water if necessary.

Roast for 15 minutes then baste both sides and roast another 10 minutes.

If pork is not sufficiently caramelized, broil for a couple minutes but watch closely as it will burn.

Remove from oven and baste with the leftover sauce, let sit 10 minutes, slice thinly and across the grain and serve.



Various sites say that this freezes really well for inclusion in fried rice later.

No comments:

Post a Comment